Your skin is the largest organ of your body and so easily gives others signals and impressions about your general health, diet and hygiene, made possible through simple observations. More importantly, your skin is your daily armor against damaging elements such as dirt and UV rays and controls your body temperature, perspiration and more.
Why Skin Care is Important Even for Men
Whether you can pull of the ruggedly handsome look or not, men’s skin types deserve some attention. Although women spend much more time pampering their skin than males, men spend a lot more time damaging their skin through outdoor activities, work environments and even shaving. Men’s beauty care is nothing to feel awkward about. The reasons why men’s skin care is important can be an endless list, but let’s keep it simple: You’ll thank your younger self when you’re 50 that you took good care of your skin when you realize you look or at least feel ten years younger than half of your friends.
Men’s Beauty Care 101: The Basics of Male Skin Care
Some men may cringe while reading this, but you read it right: men’s beauty care. Men have to understand that beauty care is not just about vanity. It’s about good health, confidence and simply feeling awesome. It doesn’t make you less of a man if you use skin moisturizer or apply balm on your lips during dry weather. Listed below are some basic beauty skin care tips for men:
Men’s Facial Care
When meeting or interacting with someone, the first thing that one tends to look at is always the face. Even if you have a muscular and defined body, the face is the focal point of your presence. Listed below are important facial care routines to remember:
- Men’s Facial Care Cleansing. Use a mild facial cleanser for men in the morning and evening. This is to clear your pores and to remove dirt and dead skin.
- Proper shaving. Use shaving oils and shaving creams to assist the shaving process and to disinfect wounds and irritated skin. Apply some aftershave lotion to close pores and leave your skin fresh and smooth. Since you shave regularly, add some good shaving accessories to your manly bag of beauty care products.
- Moisturizing. Yes, you guessed it right. You don’t use the same skin moisturizer for your face that you use for the rest of your body. Find a good facial cream that you can put on in the morning and evening. If you live in sunny regions, use one with SPF moisturizing properties to protect you from the damaging rays of the sun. Avoid the thin regions under your eyes as the skin is very thin and sensitive.
- Facial Scrubs. These products’ function is different from everyday cleansing. Facial scrubs aim to exfoliate your skin and give way for new skin to grow. Do a facial scrub once a week. Be sure to choose a product that is not harsh on the skin.
Men’s Hand Care
Your hands are one of the busiest parts of your body. They are exposed to significant amount of work, dirt, force and other elements that can make them callous and dry. Although men take pride in their manly working hands, it doesn’t hurt to consider the following:
- Hand lotion. Yes, there are such things as lotions just for the hands. However just relax, for any good body lotion will do. Apply skin moisturizer on your hands after taking a bath in the evening to lock in moisture.
- Nail Care. The rule for nail care for men is simple. Keep them short and clean. If you need to get a mani-pedi to professionally shape them or remove calloused areas or ingrown nails, go ahead.
Lip Care for Men
Whether you are talking with clients, businessmen or your date, your lips draw attention and you want that to be in a positive way. Lip care for men is rather simple. Lip balm is all you need, especially during very dry and cold weathers. If your lips crack and get chapped, apply lip balm at night or in the morning to quicken the healing process.
Overall Skin Care for Men
There are so many makes of skin care products on the market that it can get rather confusing. To simplify, there are two things you want to consider. One, you look for a product that makes your skin feel as “normal” as possible. That means not too oily, not too dry. Second, you want to go for skin care products that are hypoallergenic (especially if you have sensitive skin) and preferably non-comedogenic which means that they don’t clog your pores. Avoid alcohol-based products too. Here are some ways to take care of your skin:
- Be sure to use the right kind of soap or shower gel for your skin type.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. You may wonder what the big fuss about moisturizing is. Although some men may go through their entire lives without ever applying a skin moisturizer, it doesn’t hurt to give your body a good treat. Moisturizing hydrates your skin and contains antioxidants and alpha hydroxyl acids that fight wrinkles and signs of aging. Moisturizers also help in regulating your skin if you are not blessed with normal skin. They also protect sensitive skin and improve texture and tone. Male skin care wouldn’t be complete without some regular moisturizing. You can buy male moisturizers specifically designed for male skin in any good department store.