By now your closet is stocked with warm and cozy sweaters to get you though winter.
If you own a cashmere sweater, or other garment, you know there’s nothing quite like its softness and comfort. These articles of clothing were once something only the upper crust could afford, but modern methods have made cashmere accessible to the masses. Now that we can all afford cashmere, we need to learn how to keep it soft and comfortable for many seasons of use.
Most professionals agree that you can ignore the “dry clean only” instructions on a garment’s tag. The trade-off is to wash the item gently in cold water and use a high quality cashmere brush to remove any bumps or clumps without damaging the garment.
Here are a few other tips to keep your cashmere looking brand new:
- Use a mild or detergent to wash (some recommend using baby shampoo or soap)
- Be gentle when washing (turn the garment inside out if applicable)
- Lay the sweater flat to air dry, avoid direct sunlight (do NOT use a dryer
- Fold and store cashmere items separately in cloth bags
- Use acid-free tissue paper to wrap garments before storing
- Keep moth balls in your closets and drawers